Politicians and Infidelity
Major historical moments change the way Americans react to unfaithful politicians
As Americans, it’s happened to all of us. You’re standing in line at the grocery store or reading the news over your morning coffee when you see it – a headline screaming: Sex Scandal in Washington! Politician Cheats! Affairs on the Hill! It’s become common, even blasé, but it hasn’t always been this way. The American people have a long and complicated relationship with their feelings on unfaithful politicians. Just when we seem to have our minds made up, something comes along – a technological advancement in the media, a new attitude about women, sex, or love – that shifts the nation’s conscious and standards of judgment.
On the pages that follow, we will outline how infidelity in political life has changed over the years. An overview of what you’ll find:
- Why do politicians cheat and why do we care?
- Alexander Hamilton’s sex mistress and the role of the press
- Thomas Jefferson’s 196 year secret
- FDR’s love letters
- The many affairs of JFK
- Gary Hart and the paparazzi
- Anita Hill speaks up
- Bill Clinton’s big sex scandal
- Mike Rogers – a man to fear
- Women cheat too
- New technology changes the game
- Donald Trump’s extraordinary lies
- Where are we headed?